Assalamualaikum wr wb.
Alhamdulillah, Ramadhan is here again and we are lucky to be given the opportunity to take full advantage of the rewards awaiting us in this holy month.
I would like to share with all muslim around the world about the advantages of sahur. I guess everybody is aware on the Sunnah and have heard or read about hadith on sahur. Some people feel very reluctant to wake up a bit earlier before fajr and would prefer to have longer sleep. They choose to eat before they sleep. Some feel that they can handle the hunger and thirst without the need to wake up for sahur. However, sadly, they fail to realise that sahur has more benefit than simply to prevent hunger and thirst. It is indeed essential that we view fasting and other ibadah beyond their physical benefit.
According to Ibn Hajar, sahur is blessed because of the following reasons:
1. It will make us practise the Sunnah of the Prophet PBUH.
2. It will differentiate our fasting from the ahlul kitab. Ahlul kitab do not wake up for sahur.
3. It will better prepare our body to do more ibadah.
4. It will increase our sincerity (ikhlas) in ibadah.
5. It will stop and reduce our anger which always occurs during fasting.
6. The time that we are encouraged to sahur is the special time for our doa to be granted by Allah.
7. It is an opportunity for us to be closer to Allah as it is during the final third of the night.
Look at how generous Allah SWT is! He rewards us just for waking up and eating. Subhanallah!
Let’s try our best to make this Ramadan a meaningful time in our lives and hopefully it will be a better Ramadan than the previous Ramadan.